In October 2008, I was contacted by a neighbor that heard about my organizing business. I was happy to help. She was on a small budget, but wanted to get her car in the garage before winter.
I took pictures of the before and after. They are posted below. I think these show how rewarding the process can be to get everything in its place.
With active kids in the house, the garage can become a dumping ground. Her piles were not that bad, she just needed a system for where to put everything. Here’s how we tackled the job:
- The first day, we pulled everything out of the garage.
- Made a list of like items and what storage is required.
- Did a trip to Lowe’s to get white shelves, a garden shelf (for the dangerous chemicals) and a variety pack of garage hooks.
- The second day, we assembled the shelves and hung up the hooks.
- Finally, we played the items where they made sense in the garage — most frequently used items such as recycling bins by the door into the house, lesser used items on the shelving.