I recently signed up for my first English Paper Piecing Quilt class. We will meet monthly and make a couple of blocks each month. It’s fun to be learning something new. And this fabric from Tula Pink is so bright and colorful.
I pulled all my supplies together and cut the first block. Scary but I took it step by step. I learned a ton by watching other YouTube videos about English Paper Piecing.
Handy Links for EPP
- Tula Pink Website and FB Video
- Free Spirit Fabrics Introduction and How To’s and Website
- Quilt Beginnings in Columbus Ohio
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few items I have learned to remember as I start my English Paper Piecing adventure.
- Put some thought into the “ears” as you are gluing the paper pieces. This will reduce the bulk in the quilt layer. (I am hoping the learn more about this as I get more experienced).
- Use non-slip fabric grips on the templates to prohibit the fabric from moving when cutting.
- Use #10-sized Tula Pink Big Eye Small Applique needles.
- Use 80WT Cotton Thread (the higher the number the thinner the thread) and only one strand (not doubled up).
- Only use the length from your hand to your elbow instead of a long piece of thread (avoids tangles and long stretching and less wear on the thread that is passing by paper).
- When gluing, do not pull the fabric too tight around the paper pieces.
- When sewing pull thread tight and stitch about 16 stitches per inch.
- Rotary cutter size 28mm and swivel mat are good for this project.
Amazon Affiliate Links
I mention the products in the video for this English Paper Piecing Project. If you use my links I make a few pennies at no additional cost to you. Thank you!