We attended our second English Paper Piecing (EPP) Quilt class. It was nice to see everyone again and get to know each other a little more. We will continue to meet monthly to make a couple of blocks each month. We learned that we are all working at a different pace and that is okay!
Queen of Diamonds Quilt Along
We’ll be making this quilt over the next year with 41 different fabrics. There are instructional videos from Pink Door Fabrics, the company that created the quilt pattern. The designer of the fabric, Tula Pink, is quilting along with us. And quilt stores all over the country will be participating. How fun!
Tula Pink Videos
- Tula Pink’s Facebook Page
- Tula Pink: Prep for Queen of Diamonds
- Tula Pink: Month 1
- Tula Pink: Month 2
- Tula Pink: Month 3
- How To Do Tight Angles
Pink Door Fabrics Videos
This month’s blocks include this rainbow fussy cut for 6 triangles. I was careful to line up the rainbow along the bottom line of the inside of the template triangle. Then I was careful to line up the paper with the bottom of the rainbow. Next, we’ll see how the sewing goes — hopefully, they all line up!
What I Have Learned
- So glad I purchased the acrylic templates (with 3/8″) for cutting the fabric. This was optional but it’s making it very easy to cut all the pieces quickly. I also purchased the pattern, paper pieces, and fabric.
- It’s best to cut and sew the blocks as we go. Do not cut all the pieces ahead of time.
- I am waiting to cut and sew the sashing (the edge pieces) until we assemble all the blocks. Some folks are adding it now to keep the fabric from stretching.
- Have the suggested supplies (#10 big eye needles, proper thread weight, reading glasses).
- Glue basting seems faster than hand stitching the paper into place.
- Although I purchased several colors of thread, gray is working the best.
- Having plenty of light when I am working is very useful.
- We are short a few papers from our kits, those will be sent to the stores where we purchased our kits soon.
- There are a few minor mistakes in the pattern (this is common), see this link for ERRATA. Blocks 1-1 and 7-3 have corrections so far.
Here is a great picture of the final project — Queen of Diamonds.
Amazon Affiliate Links
Below are items that I recommend for English Paper Piecing. If you use my links, I make a few pennies at no additional cost to you. Thank you!